When I was in the first grade, my teacher called my parents in for a meeting. She told them that she worried about me and my anxious tendencies. I was 7. I was 7 and I got anxious over spelling tests.
^^my real life teacher comment
My parents put me on meds, but as elementary school progressed, my anxiety worsened. In fact, in third grade, I was so worried about not making straight A’s that I refused to go to school all together. As a result, I got sent to a boarding school for the first semester. All because of my freaking anxiety. I was 9 years old.
Let’s skip to high school. I’m a senior now, and I’m applying to colleges. I come home everyday after school and collapse into my bed. I refuse to accept my reality. I’m too anxious to progress. The future is terrifying. I’m 18 and I’m so anxious that I’m about to explode. I know its normal for seniors to be anxious, I’m not trying to throw myself a pity party, but what I’m trying to say is that it sucks. Everyone reading this gets anxious once and a while, or maybe all the time like me. Everyone knows the feeling. Doesn’t that upset you?
This should be the prime of our lives and we are all stressed out of our freaking minds.
Ok, enough of my rambling. I’ve got something to say, remember?
Throughout my life I’ve tried my best to calm myself down, and believe it or not, sometimes I’m actually successful. So, grrls, I’m going to give you some pointers if you’re struggling with anxiety.
- Take some deep breaths! I usually close my eyes and breathe in for about 4 seconds, hold it for 5, then see how long I can breathe out. You’d be surprised how much this helps. Before you know it, your muscles are less tense and your headache is fading. Also, it helps wake you up.
- Go to bed. I know sometimes its really hard to sleep when you’re stressed, but try your best. Close your eyes, take deep breaths, and don’t think about the things worrying you. Before you know it, it’s morning.
- Take a bath or shower. Make sure it’s warm (cold water is for weirdos).
- Talk it out. Complain until you can’t complain anymore. Talk about how much it sucks. Even if you’re just talking to yourself. Ranting/venting can be very beneficial.
- Do something you love. It doesn’t matter what it is. Maybe it is exercising, painting, reading, your boyfriend, whatever. I pinky promise, that it’ll distract you from your troubles
Ok, that’s all I had to say. I love y’all and I wish you all the best. I hope you have a relaxed year! Feel free to comment the ways you calm yourself down, I love trying new things.
Artwork by: Zoe:)